Monday, April 18, 2011

My Roommate


Seriously! Where do I start from? Okay! This is going to take a while.
It all started when I posted an ad for a roommate on Sulekha. I was hoping to get good roommates since it was my first time staying away from family. I crossed my fingers as people called in for more details about the room.
And one day when I was sitting in my office cubicle thinking about what to have for dinner....I received a call...

Male Voice: "Hi! My friend is interested in your ad on Sulekha"
Me: "Oh! Why isn't she calling? Can I talk to her directly?"
Male Voice: "Actually she has no minutes :-| "
Me: "Umm Does she have an at&t mobile? cause I have one" (It won’t cost minutes if it’s the same network)
Male voice: “Yeah! She does"
Me:"May I know your name?"
Male voice: "Oh my name is KISHAN"!!

The rest of the conversation was about the room and I don't remember what we spoke.
I finally got to talk to this girl who was interested in my ad, my first impression
about her was.."Jeez she sure laughs a lot. She giggled for almost every sentence"
I gave her all the details and she was okay with moving in. I prayed that she be a
sane/tolerable person, after all, I was going to live with this roomie of mine...

                                                  



And then she arrived.......

She came with her so-called friend Kishan, we were unloading her stuff from the car
when i thought "oh God! I was just thinking two boxes of stuff but looks like she got her
 ancestral property"! We made place for all the stuff and she was set!

Her birthday was a week away and she was telling me and my other roommate about her
Cincinnati friends, who gave her a farewell party. That's when we decided to surprise her
on her birthday with a cake.

It was 12.00 AM-5th March and my other roommate and I walked in with our faces
lit with excitement and a yummy chocolate cake...She was very surprised and happy
"Oh I didn't expect this at all..Thankss" (Most of you who know her can imagine
How she says THANKSSS in her sweet little voice). I said "If you got a farewell party
while leaving cincy then consider this your 'welcome to bay area' bash" She just smiled
and gave a hug. Now this was just the start...

Months passed by and I don't have enough words to tell you in how many ways this girl
inspired me! Observing her closely has taught me to be humble, and that ego/attitude
take me nowhere. Seeing her deal with her life, taught me to be more considerate towards
others and to be more passionate towards my career. I often admired how responsible she was towards her family. She was one dynamic personality, who knew how to work her way around :)
You see a lot of people who say a lot of things but do nothing to get there; she was someone who did more than what she said.

The guy
One day while we were all sitting and having our usual conversation (mostly about food or clothes), She suddenly gave the news "Hey I think it’s almost fixed"! Now, we were confused!!, "Fixed? What is almost Fixed?" She said "Umm! Kishan proposed and I said yes"!! We all screamed at once "That’s AWESOME!"
All of us were so happy for her. Now at that time, we knew very little about Kishan (as he barely ever spoke to us) The moment we knew she was interested in him, we wanted to meet this guy.
 He came to bay area for the next weekend and we left no chance of thoroughly inspecting him. From what we saw and learned about Kishan, He was a very patient guy. Mind you patience with a capital 'P'. Always had a smile on his face, We often caught him staring at his fiancĂ© with his, what can I say.. 'Love-filled' eyes. He loved watching movies and photography was one of his interests. Now the best part was, Kishan loves clicking pictures and our roommate loves being in pictures! We thought "Oh they make a perfect couple"!
The more we knew about Kishan, the more all of us were hoping to get someone like Kishan. He was this soft/calm guy who was crazily in love with this one lucky roommate of our's. We got convinced that these guys would make a great pair. They decided to get engaged in November and we all got ready for the occasion, It was like a festival for us. All of us danced at the happy occasion and Kishan's friends prepared a few wonderful skits for the couple. (The skits were a big hit and are now successfully running on YouTube :D ) It was a two day party, the first day we all wore traditional and on the second day, all of us wore gowns. No points for guessing that the soon-to-be-bride wore a white gown and she was absolutely breathtaking. Not to forget Kishan, showing off his charm in a perfectly clad suit, no doubt he looked like a gentleman. (Well! he was one too :)
Seeing the wonderful couple we learned that a loving relationship can add a lot of beauty to life. Finally their big day arrived (20th Feb 2011) and both of them were more than happy to get married.


It’s exactly been a year now and here I am wishing my sweetheart of a roommate a wonderful/romantic/suspense-filled/thrilling life ahead. Isn’t it strange how one year back I was trying to find a sane/tolerable roommate, little did I know that one year from now I’d be sitting in my office cubicle filling pages about this girl who influenced me in so many ways and  whom I’m very lucky to have as a roommate.
 Oh! I just realized I never told you her name....It's HARIKA! And I’m Rajini, the proud roommate of Mrs. HARIKA KISHAN :D           

1 comment:

  1. Friendship is the one of most beautiful relation when u have it in both of the people hands

    ReplyDelete